Training takes place on Monday nights and social running on Thursday nights all year round at 6:30pm (sometimes 6:00pm on Sundays during winter months).
When the lighter evenings allow it, Monday training takes place at Holkham Hall, meeting at the Village Car Park, just before the North Gate (when approached from The Victoria Hotel). Running will either take place in Holkham Park or on Holkham Beach. Thursday night sessions will always meet at Holkham Village Car Park.
Please note that we are privileged to have Holkham Park as a place to train, so it requested that members of Runners-next-the-Sea stick to the way-marked paths in the park at all times (not just during training sessions) and note that vehicular access to the park is not allowed after 5pm.
A map of the permitted areas in Holkham park are shown on the map below (click it for a larger version):
You will note that the first part of the old Holkham parkrun route from the first marshal point/cattle grid to the bottom of the dip/crossing on the back track is out of bounds to the public at all times.
Please note that at times Holkham Park may be partially or fully closed for Estate management reasons or due to severe weather. Please take this into account and abide by the Estate’s decisions.
Information regarding this can be found here:
Once it becomes too dark to run at Holkham, training alternates between Wells-next-the-Sea and Fakenham.
You can see our training events on the Facebook page here – https://www.facebook.com/groups/RunnersNTS/events
If you are accepting for another person as well as yourself, please leave a note in the Discussion section. Please note, you can only attend training if you register your intent to do so first.
During training sessions, runners should:
- Wear the appropriate running gear.
- Not wear headphones.
- Be able to comfortably run 5k
- Inform the Welfare Officer, or Group Leader of any concerns (illness or injury related) before starting the session.
- Wear high-visibility clothing during training on darker nights and also have a torch (a head torch is ideal). The Group Leader may ask people to leave the session if they are not wearing the appropriate clothing.
- Inform someone else if you need to leave before the end of the session – ideally the Group Leader.
- Where there is no pavement, run facing oncoming traffic.
- Carry some form of identification and emergency contact details.
- Keep an eye out for other members of your club if they appear to be struggling. Do not leave anyone alone.
- Paid members of Runners-next-the-Sea are entitled to bring along a Guest to a training session for whom they are solely responsible. In the future, a contribution towards the running of the club may be requested for this.
- Under 16s, whether a Member or a Guest, are to be accompanied during training sessions by a parent or guardian.
Holkham Village Car Park
Alderman Peel High School
Highfield Road Car Park